Singing Event: Spanish Fair Idol!!!
The BYU Spanish Fair is excited to announce that we will be continuing with the Spanish Fair Idol Event! Students are able to participate in a singing competition, en Español. We believe this will be a wonderful opportunity for students to share their knowledge of Spanish through music. Because of the newness of the event and possible logistical challenges participation will be limited. Please see specific guidelines below.
- Solos only, due to time constraints, at this point, we have chosen to only allow individuals to performance instead of groups.
- One student per school. Only the student singing can perform to represent the school (no other students may act as accompanist).
- Scheduled Time, Each participant will have a scheduled time to perform, and will forfeit their opportunity if they are not present when their name is called. A schedule of performance times will be sent via email a few days prior to the event to the teacher whose email is included on the registration.
- Language bowl and skits, Because of scheduling difficulties, students who participate in this event may not participate in the language bowl or skit.
- Winner of Spanish Fair Idol, The winner of Spanish Fair Idol will have the opportunity to perform at the awards ceremony.
- One minute of singing, Students must select a one-minute segment from the song that they want to sing.
- Introduction, The student will take the stage. Then, before performing, the student will use Spanish to briefly (20 seconds or less) introduce themself and the song they will perform. For example, the student should state their name, what school they are from, what song they will sing, and maybe a sentence or two about why they like the song.
- Props are not allowed, Students may wear an appropriate (modest, non-revealing) costume, but they may not use props. A student may have an acoustic musical instrument that they will use to accompany their own singing, if he/she wishes.
- Pre-approval of song from BYU, Either students or their teacher must send the song with the lyrics to Spanishfair@byu.edu BY MARCH 15th for approval. These materials are part of the competition and the following must be included:
– Format of media: mp3 file or YouTube video. If YouTube, specify starting and stopping point. If the student would like to record a friend playing guitar or piano and submit that as an .mp3 file, we will more than happy to let them use that for their performance.
-Appropriateness: lyrics and any physical movements
-Word document containing the lyrics of the song in the following format
*Song title bold centered
*Name of artist (parentheses country of origin of artist)
*Complete song lyrics, id. verses and chorus
*Portion of song being sung highlighted or bolded
*Times New Roman, 11 pt.
*Correct spelling and punctuation of the words
Please see this EXAMPLE of pre-approval formatting: EXAMPLE entry Spanish Idol